• Welcome to *AUS* Network Forums.

What About a Tactical Ops Devision

Started by Dev0, February 12, 2003, 08:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSL

I offered my opinion and you can do whatever the hell you like with it, I don't care because it doesn't affect me at all. Rank doesn't mean jack shit to me and it's not the reason I am running a clan. I don't give a fuck if your rank is Admiral of the fleet and I have repeatedly said why:

QuoteOriginally posted by Dee S. Elle
Just making a suggestion. Base ranks on service quality, not ego.

I'm not arguing with you mate, give yourself the rank you think you deserve.

it's your army, you run it.

You've also had advice from JB:

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBoy
Ice don't listen to what DSL says m8. U are running the show there so do what u want

You don't have to listen to me or JB mate.

DSL

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBoy

QuoteOriginally posted by DSL

Yeah don't listen to me I wouldn't know shit about running a clan. :lol:

I didn't say that, u were having a go at him about his rank..

Yeah mate I was joking notice the smiley at the end.

ICE-CaNNoN

QuoteOriginally posted by DSL

Just making a suggestion. Base ranks on service quality, not ego.

I'm not arguing with you mate, give yourself the rank you think you deserve.

Both of those quotes accuse me of being egotistical.

Why do u have to offer your opinion over and over? meanwhile taking the piss out of my commanding of the squad.

*AUS* VC Division Founder
*AUS* Network Player of the Month - January 2003
*AUS* DF Member
JO life member, ex BF member

DSL

I swear on my testacles that I was just trying to help. You overreacted and demoted yourself to a ridiculously low rank due to my critical opinion and now you feel like a fool so you are trying to pin some sort of guilt trip on me as if I am to blame for your extremist decision. All along I was trying to drum into you to be conservative with your ranks, I thought MAJ was overkill and CPL underkill (if that is a word :lol: ). That was MY opinion and it means dick when it comes to the VC division anyway. I'm just a public spectator and I know if I'm thinking it, then somebody else must be thinking it because I am a pretty conservative bloke, even if I do bash gooks for a living :eek:. It's not often you get people from the public giving you their opinions on your squad, so think of my comments as easy market research.

About the ego thing. Everyone is egotistical. I want my rank to be LTCOL because it sounds fucking cool, but even though I have the power to do it, I won't because it's just not necessary. I have my 4 divisional CAPTs and I am their leader as MAJ. We don't need a LTCOL even though I said I'd promote myself to it on the VC forum, I have had second thoughts about it because I feel it'd have been a purely egotistical decision. I'll promote guys under me, but I'll never promote myself unless the guys request it which is how I have the rank of MAJ now. It feels good to know that my guys actually WANT me to be MAJ, they requested it by a majority vote and I honestly feel as though it is something I've earned.

I'm not having a go, but I'm just saying this is how I'd do it. All my officers are commanders (there are 5 of us), CAPT Straka (marines), CAPT ST (army), SQNLDR REV (air force) & DropBear (reserves) and me MAJ DSL (clan). That is just one way of doing it. You might prefer to follow the lead of JB who eventually promotes all his dedicated guys to officer status. That's not how I do it though. With my clan, some guys no matter how good or dedicated they are, will never make officer status. They sure as shit can make it to Warrant Officer level and that is something to be proud of, that is something I can never achieve as an officer, regretfully. I don't need 10 officers for 10 soldiers because the only thing my officers do is command. JB takes a different approach and has the majority of the officers doing important admin work like match organising and recruiting.

Horses for courses mate, run the show the way you want to. I'm honoured that my opinion actually made a difference to the VC division and that's good. It shows that you are able to take advice from the public. I'm offering you more advice here: More important than public opinion is that of your players. They are a wealth of knowledge waiting to be mined so start drilling them mate as I'm sure they'll have some excellent ideas for you no matter what the issue. I rarely make any decisions without first consulting my Captains and sometimes the players. My Captains are guys who I trust 110% and would be prepared to let any one of them take over in my absence. Of course they can be a bit of a handful sometimes, but that's just an indicator that they are doing their job. I just see myself as the Captain of the Captains. I'm no General, probably not even worthy of being a Major, but my men seem to think I am and that's all that matters to me. If I promoted myself to LTCOL, what good would it do? Why the fuck do we need a LTCOL?

That's how I operate, every officer rank has a position attached to it. MAJ = Chief Commander, CAPT = Commanding Officer, LT = Executive Officer. At the moment the 4 divisions aren't big enough to have LTs but in time we will get some guys promoted to LT level if it gets to the stage where the CAPTs need a hand. I actually feel as though I fucked up being at the rank of MAJ because what I should have done is stayed at CAPT and had my divisional Captains as LTs if that makes sense because now I have no LTs at all. But I caved into ego and the wishes of my players and promoted myself to MAJ. In the end it works out nicely as the leaders of each division are indeed deserving of the title Captain, because Captaining is exactly what they do. Whatever the case, it's all blown out of proportion, I hear that Australian Army LTs have to command 30 guys, whereas my Army CAPT only commands 9 guys.

The BF division has about 30 guys, so I probably should have started myself at LT and left the "Captaining" to the SGTs but I fucked up and now have to live with the fact that the BF clan doesn't follow a realistic ranking structure. If I had a clue about military ranks and responsibilities before I started the clan I'd still be LT to this day but as it stands I have to make the most of my decisions and I refuse to demote anybody as it is unfair.

I hope this provides some insight as to the way I think. Yes, I "had a go" at you, or in other words criticised you. I did this because I wanted to help you out due to my own experiences as a n00b commander. When I created the BF division, my vision was for each and every member to have as real a military experience as you can possibly get within the boundaries of the internet. The fact that I don't know shit about the military didn't help this at all. I just wish I could have made more informed decisions but as it stands I never actively researched or sought to get information on ranks and I am kicking myself right now for making decisions out of ignorance. But like I said it's all blown out of proportion anyway, I had my first SGT within 2 months, JB has taken almost 10 years to reach SGT in the real army. So obviously it's not going to work copying the real military to a T.

Realistic progression in rank and medals is drastically compromised for the sake of an enjoyable gaming experience. As commander, it is up to you to determine whereabouts you feel comfortable on the slippery slope between realism and enjoyment. You don't have to listen to me, you don't have to listen to JB, you don't even have to listen to your players, you just have to feel comfortable in your decision making. I'm not going to get into a philosophical debate about the subjectivity of comfort, but I know I didn't feel comfortable when you were at MAJ, others may have been, but my opinion isn't important unless you think it is (which you obviously did). The most important opinions will come from your players but I can assure you if I am of the opinion that you were ranked too highly, then someone else probably thought the same thing. I'm just more vocal when it comes to criticising. :lol:

I hope this more detailed response answers your question. And I'm going to add another criticism here and I hope you don't take it to heart again, but putting yourself at CPL was a very extreme reaction. I know you did it to shut me up, but I never like to see extremism in any form. You did it once before when you threatened to leave the DF squad because I posted your address. As a commander people will criticise you and humiliate you all the time. As a commander, you can't afford to act in the extreme by threatening to leave or demoting a MAJ to CPL. And for fuck's sake if you dare say you are resigning as commander of VC because I said this then I'll be seriously fucking pissed off at you because it'd just prove that you haven't learned a damn thing from me and cannot take criticism.

I am probably one of the biggest shit-stirrers there are. I know how to get people to their breaking point and I am fucking good at it just ask Straka, ST, DropBear, REV, Camo or JB. These guys know how to put up with my shit and everyone else's shit because they are used to it. That's pretty much all people in charge do is put up with lots of shit. In between copping shit and stirring shit I occasionally I play Battlefield 1942.

I'm tired I'm going to bed, I have wasted 2 hours typing this shit. :lol:

ICE-CaNNoN

I'm a CPT m8, have been for a few days now :p I took your advice and changed myself to captain. As I said, I picked a random rank from the drop down menu, I thought about if for 0.2 or a second. I didnt realise me doing so would cause such a front page news item :eek:

As for being an extremist - its vietnman, leaders were extremists :eek: :p

Nah, yes I did that to shut you up, even tho no one else in the squad supported my action (especially WC that got demoted from Maj. to LCPL :lol:) now I heeded your advice and put myself as CPT - which I dont agree with personally, as I am higher than that in DF. When I ranked myself - I was going by JB's system, and I was giving myself a '2ic' rank, as when I step down as VC Commander, thats what I hope to be.

*AUS* VC Division Founder
*AUS* Network Player of the Month - January 2003
*AUS* DF Member
JO life member, ex BF member

Camouflage

I've always followed the system which you mentioned as (JB's).  If you and WC are acting as senior officers (2ic) then you need to hold the rank of a senior officer - not a L/CPL (for WC).  

Will Code For Food | Hackusations etc BF2 (1) | BF2 (2) | BFH | BC2 | MOH | BF3 | Hardline

Straka

Wow DSL,

You can write.

I think that the way you have the ranks set in place is pretty spot on.  But that's based on US military ranks. From what I've seen though, ranks pretty much have the same guidelines from country to country.

I also read something about you being a noob or something.

DSL